Monday, February 27, 2012

Sabbath

This season of lent, my roommate and I decided to give up doing homework on Sundays in order to gain a Sabbath.  Yesterday was the first day that we got to enjoy the fruits of our labor and it was wonderful.  When God gave the Ten Commandments in the Old Testament, the fourth command was to keep the Sabbath.

 "Remember to Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.  On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.  Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."  Exodus 20: 8-11


The Lord took the most time to explain this one of all the commandments.  He specified that the Sabbath was for everyone.  The Lord really laid it on my heart that there is wisdom in keeping a Sabbath--a day of rest, especially for college students.

This last week, I spent my free time making sure my homework was done and I was ready for this week.  I spent Saturday working instead of playing all day.  When Sunday rolled around, I had nothing to do except rest.  I got to go to church and not rush home to get homework done.  I go to go to the park with friends and play kickball.  I got to go to a dear friend's house for dinner and not even think about homework the whole time.  I went to bed without being exhausted and woke up this morning feeling more rested and ready to face the week than I have in a long time.  

I think this whole Sabbath thing might just have to stick around for longer than Lent season.  I'm thinking this might become a life practice.  It's amazing how the Bible is just filled to the brim with wisdom that I so often overlook, but boy is it sweet when the Lord grabs my attention and draws me in closer.  Thank you, Jesus.

2 comments:

cat said...

ii'm so glad you're doing this! its encouraging me to do maybe do the same...hmmm :)

Morgann said...

Oh Cat, I sure hope you do! It is amazing how creating a Sabbath allows God time to restore us. I can't wait to hear what you decide :)

Post a Comment