Sunday, December 12, 2010

The "M-Word"

So...

I'm sitting here, on my [very comfortable] couch wondering why I'm not up being productive.  I have philosophy to be reading [Hume, Descartes, Plato, Tolstoy...the list goes on], a quilt to be sewing [that's right, I said quilt], a paper to write [due tomorrow at 4:30] and many other things too.

There's this thing called motivation.  And whatever it is, I DON'T have it.  It's been a while since I've been buddy-buddy with the "m-word."  Somehow I find myself filling my time with other things: redesigning my blog, going on adventures with friends at 11pm to look at Christmas lights, watching hilarious youtube videos with the roomies, going to In N Out with one of my friends and talking for a couple hours, cleaning, doing five loads of laundy...are you getting the picture???

You know what?  The funny thing is, I don't regret any of it.  I've had more fun than I've ever had in the midst of finals.  I've laughed more than I have all semester.  And somehow, I feel more at home here than I ever have.  Laughter is a gift from God--and sometimes we only get to experience it by throwing caution to the wind and living like there's no tomorrow.

So today, take some time to feel the wind in your hair, the rain on your skin, the sand in-between your toes.  Take time to feel the cold air send a chill down your spine.  Take time to watch the clouds drift by and form an infinite amount of shapes.  Take time to smile at a stranger or at your spouse.  Take time to watch your kids play.  Take time to listen to the deafening sound of quietness. Take time to let your ears ring from the noise.  Take time to see God in the small things.  Take time for life.

"Wherever you are, be all there."
~Jim Elliot

0 comments:

Post a Comment