Monday, September 13, 2010

Ministry

I'm just forewarning you...this is probably going to be one of the most hypocritical posts you are ever going to see me write.  But I know that this is what God wants me to say; He has laid it heavily on my heart, so I will gladly share.
I have been thinking a lot about ministry.  Not just ministry in foreign countries--like Mexico, or South Africa or the Dominican Republic.  Those are all fine and dandy, and could even be classified as "cool."  I've been thinking about ministry close to home and close to my heart.  In our world, it becomes easy to deliver PB&J sandwiches to homeless people that line the streets of L.A.  It is so easy to hand the street musician a few quarters to put in his guitar case.  It's easy to love the "unlovables" when there is no risk to us.  We will probably and walk away from that nameless face and think about them not more than a few times from then on out...if any at all.  We live in a world scarred by failure and chances not taken.  We live in a world paralyzed by the fear of risking ourself for the sake of another.  

I came accross this verse: 
"He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy."

This verse implies that there is some connection between neighbor and needy.  It implies that the neighbor is the one who is needy.  This ISN'T the person who I randomly see with a cardboard sign.  This is the person who I walk past each and every day.  The person who screams silently and no one hears...or more than likely, no one takes time to listen.  This is the person who is close to my heart, the person who requires me to risk myself in order to dig deep into their mess.  This is the person who Jesus loves.  This is me.  This is you.



You see, this is exactly what Jesus did for us.  He risked His very will, His reputation, His LIFE to reach down into the mucky, messy, miry clay that He found us in.  And He simply asks us to do the same with those around us.  

How many people do we have within our immediate circle of friends who really need someone right now?  I can think of countless names.

How many people do we see each and every day who we know are crying for help and yet we ignore them?

How many people do we know NEED the truth and light and life of Jesus, and yet we are more concerned with how WE might look if we share?

One thing I know is this: Jesus called us to be the salt of the earth as He lights up the world--that He might be seen and they might be saved to the Glorious praise of God.  

Blessings,

0 comments:

Post a Comment