Saturday, September 25, 2010

Zealous?

Wow!  This week has been filled with blessings upon blessings upon even more blessings!!!  I think that's how every week is, but this week the LORD made Himself so evident in my life.  I am truly thankful and praising Him for what He's done!  Here are a few highlights:

1. Last weekend, I got to spend time with the Ortiz family in Irvine!  It was such a blessing to be able to see good friends, and meet lil' Miss Violet, Renee and Jon's little girl.  And it was such a gift to be able to talk with Anna, since we haven't seen each other in what feels like ages!

2. I got to be in the classroom (elementary) for the first time on Wednesday!!!  I'm in Mrs. Walker's first grade class, and I absolutely adore her as well as her 25 little ones.  They are so sweet, and have lots and lots of energy!  Mrs. Walker was so gracious and let me introduce myself and tell a little tiny bit about who I am.  AND...she even let me go around and help all the little kiddos one-on-one during their work time!  I was so excited.  My first day went so well, that I've set up two more times to go in each week, so I'm in the classroom three times each week instead of only one!!!  Can you tell I'm STOKED?!?!?!
2. Also on Wednesday, Cat (my roomie this year, AND last year) asked us (me and our two other roomies) to be in her wedding in May!  So, there's lots of excitement going on in our little apartment.

Those are just a few happenings in my life, but none of these even compare to the Cross of Christ.  The LORD is continually teaching me and molding me into His likeness.  Though it's painful at times, it is so worth it.  It is an absolute honor to be called His and to be an image-bearer of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This morning I read Galatians 4, and this verse stuck out to me:

"It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you." Galatians 4:18

Paul is writing to the church of Galatia and he basically encourages them, "Look, it's great to get excited about life happenings, but please, make sure they're worthy of your excitement!"  I love this!  You know, as excited as I am about getting to teach, and being in one of my best friend's wedding, my excitement for those things should be NOTHING compared to my excitement for Jesus Christ.  And Paul also cautions that our excitement for those "good" things shouldn't just show when we're around Pastors, or Missionaries, or Professors or Parents.  This excitement should come from the heart and should be authentic no matter who we're with or where we are.

So with that, I want to encourage you to really examine your life--what are those things that get you excited?  Sports?  School?  Family?  Church?  Video games?  None of those in and of themselves are bad....but I want to challenge you to find a way to be intentional about glorifying God through those things.  If the Cross of Christ is not at the center of our every move, our every thought, our every activity, then Christ does not have first place in our lives.  After all, shouldn't that be the goal of every Christian?  Think on these things.

Blessings,

0 comments:

Post a Comment