Thursday, September 15, 2011

overflow.

So, I'm sitting here in my messy room with homework that needs to be done, a floor that is begging to be vacuumed and a bed that is beckoning me to come and sleep.  I have a schedule that demands every bit of my time be put to use.  I have people in my life that are desperate to be poured into--dead people walking all around that need the living water of Jesus Christ.  It can be slightly burdensome.

This morning I woke up with a deep-rooted hunger for the Word.  As I opened up my Bible, I turned to Matthew: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  
~Matthew 11:28-30

As I think about my life and the day-to-day stresses, I am so convicted of my lack of trust in my Sovereign God.  His Word says that His commands are not burdensome--His yoke is light.  The flip side of that coin is that anything that is burdensome is not of the Lord.  Stress?  Not of the Lord.  Inadequacy?  Not of the Lord?  Overwhelming busyness?  Not of the Lord.  Though those things may come my way, I do not need to be burdened by them because I serve a God who carries them for me.  My Jesus carries me.

It's nearing midnight and I am listening to the laughter of my residents echo down the hallway.  I'm listening to my wonderful roommate learn a few new worship songs on guitar.  I'm rejoicing that I get to start a Bible study with the girls on my hall on Sunday night.  I'm glancing around my room and seeing pictures of my family and friends who love me and care for me.  Mostly, I'm thanking God for gifting me the role of RA.  I'm more tired than I've been in a while and yet my life is more full than it has ever been.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that God is good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment