Monday, April 19, 2010

Fulfilling THE purpose

I haven't blogged in a while...it's good to be back!

Yesterday I started reading through Matthew, and I have been blown away. I've read Matthew many times before, but this time in particular has really got my mind and heart turning. I've been learning a lot about God's character through this study. I am a firm believer that when we read the Bible, it will always reflect God's character.

In the first ten chapters of Matthew, God's faithfulness is so evident. For many (including myself) this theme is very subtle in Matthew. So often we focus on the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes or the many, many miracles that take place over the coarse of the book. Sometimes the richest stuff is in the details.

Did you know that just in the first ten chapters of Matthew, the word "fulfill" is used 9 times! That's almost once a chapter. The incredible thing about Matthew is that everything that is recorded of Jesus' life is done for a purpose, "to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet" (Matthew 1:22) or to "fulfill all righteousness" (Matthew 3:15). Jesus came to fulfill all that had been said through the prophets, and to fulfill His Father's will. Isn't that amazing.
Never did Jesus have an aimless day. He never wandered around for the heck of it. He never hung out with his friends just to "hang out." He did every single thing with His Father's will in mind. I wonder what it would be like if we did the same thing? What if I lived my life in a way as to fulfill the holy calling that God has placed upon my life?

Matthew 5:48 says, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 7:12 says, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." What if we lived a life that was purposeful, so that when God looks at us, His children, He might...just maybe...see a beautiful reflection of Himself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment