Sunday, May 20, 2012

His delight

The Lord is teaching me so much already here in Brazil.  One of the most important things I have been learning is the importance of prayer.  We serve a God who listens to our prayers and delights in answering them so that He may be glorified!  This week God has answered so many prayers and I think now is a good time to recap them all:
  1. Safe flights from Seattle to Dallas and Dallas to Sao Paulo.
  2. So far, safety while I've been in Brazil.
  3. My eyes were open while I was traveling--I got to meet a sweet old man who had an incredible testimony, a young woman in the Army reserves, little Adelaide and her mommy and sweet Maria who taught me some Portuguese!
  4. So far, I have stayed healthy!
  5. God has been glorified in many ways--I have been able to share my testimony and the Gospel at least once every single day that I have been here.  That means that over 100 people have heard the Gospel in the last 3.5 days!  Wowza!
  6. When we prayed for the Gospel to be well received in church ministry, 4 kids accepted Christ that night.
  7. I have been able to serve lots in Juca and Rose's home--I have been able to do most of the dishes each day, I get to help clean the house tomorrow and I will be cooking a few meals this week for the family.
  8. I have been able to sleep at least 8 full hours each night.
  9. We have had lots of family time over the last few days...we have gone out to lunch/dinner a couple times, Julia and I watched part of "Peter Pan" and "Avatar" yesterday afternoon and Julia, Juca and I watched "The Blindside" last night.  A couple nights ago, Julia, Abner and I went for a run around a nearby lake with a couple of their friends.  Julia translated for me at church this morning.  I got to go to the Mother's Day celebration at the school that Julia and Abner teach at.  Julia, Rose and I went to downtown yesterday because Julia needed new shoes.  Wow!!!  God is good  :)
  10. We have been praying for extra rest for me because my body hasn't full adjusted yet...and this afternoon, everyone in the family is resting/napping!  So after this post, I get to catch up on sleep.  
I write this all down to remind you that our God really does answer specific prayers.  He is showing me His tender care for His children.  Which is why I beg you to pray with me for Rose's mother.  She has been in the hospital for three months, having undergone two different back surgeries.  Up until Wednesday, she was doing alright, but things have taken a rough turn.  Early yesterday morning, she slipped into a coma, which required a feeding tube to be inserted and oxygen to be turned on.  Around 3 o'clock this morning, she was moved to ICU because she spiked a fever due to infection.  Right now, they are administering antibiotics to fight off a UTI as well as an infection in the lungs.  Rose's three sisters are now in town and staying at the house with us because visitation hours are restricted in ICU.

Please pray for complete healing for Rose's mom.  Pray for comfort for Rose, her sisters and the rest of the family.  Pray that I am able to serve this family well in a tough time.  May my eyes be open to their needs.  More than anything, pray that no matter what the future brings, that this will be an opportunity for the saving message of Jesus Christ to be preached to the extended family.  Rose's mother is a Christian, so we have hope in Christ no matter what.

There is power in prayer, friends.  Wonder-working power.  Let us pray.

0 comments:

Post a Comment