Thursday, May 31, 2012

A plea for praise and petition

Last night, by nearly anyone's standards was miserable.  I went to bed with a stomach ache around 10pm and woke up around 12am sprinting to the bathroom--I was both kinds of icky sick.  I couldn't keep anything down and I couldn't keep anything in.  I probably got somewhere around 45 minutes of sleep total between 12am and 8am.  Fun, right?  Not so much.

In situations like this, I am so tempted to get frustrated...I was not able to go stay in Sao Paulo like we had planned today, I didn't get to participate in any soccer ministry today and I simply don't feel well.  I...I...I.  That's the thing...it's not about me.  It's never about me!

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, but which he as granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire." 2 Peter 1:3-4

God, through his Holy Spirit has given me everything I need for life and godliness with NO conditions!  On the best days, on the worst days, on the healthy days and on the sick days, I have the ability to choose godliness.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." Galations 5:22-23

The gift of the Holy Spirit is that in these times, I get the privilege of having joy!  I get the privilege of showing patience to those around me, even when I'm tempted to snap at them.  I have the privilege of giving thanks always.  Because right now, I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, running water, my own bathroom, clean water to drink, people who are praying, my Bible, clean clothes, time to pray, time to encourage, and for goodness sakes, I'm still breathing! I'd say it's time to praise our Most Holy God.  It's not very often that life slows down enough that I get to enjoy all of these things at one time.  But today, in my icky sickness, I do.

Man, our God is most gracious, isn't He?  Wow.  

I tell you this to encourage you that no matter what is going on in your life, with Christ, you have the opportunity to choose godliness, to go against the grain, to become a humble servant in the worst circumstances.  

I am asking you to pray for quick healing for me, but I'm also begging you to take time to praise God for his grace, that he would put me in the situation and give me no choice but to rely on him.  That right there, is life to my soul.

0 comments:

Post a Comment